Friday, April 29, 2011

Teaching to Fish


I am an English Education major. I chose this field because I have always loved the proverb, "Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and feed him for a lifetime." This has always resonated with me.

I love seeing someone's face light up when they finally get something they have struggled with or something they find interesting. I had about five teaachers who really infleunced me, made me want to learn more, and who were techers just because they love to teach. On the other hand, I have had some really bad teachers; they did not care how you did in their class, they were there because it was a secure job or they were a coach that had to teach to justify why they were there and they had no material of their own, they would just borrow from another teacher.

I want to be the teacher that will change a life, maybe not in a profound way, but enough to improve their life. I want to show them they have infinate potential, they can do what they set their minds to do.

I am a patient person, and have had much experience in reaching those who are troubled. I am a good writer and public speaker and I have a genuine want to help people.

When I graduate, I really am not concerned where I would go to teach. An option I am interested in, is the inner-city/underprivaledged school tuition forgiveness. I would love to help those who reall are in a difficult situation in life. I would like to move to a different state, I have always wanted to go west.

No comments:

Post a Comment